Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Lakeland Family & Divorce Attorney
Schedule A Consultation Today! Phone Logo Icon 863-619-5291
Lakeland Family & Divorce Attorney / Lakeland Parental Relocation Attorney

Lakeland Parental Relocation Attorney

While many parents can work remotely from anywhere in the country, some have to move to another state in order to secure a high-paying job. While this may not be a huge deal for some parents, it becomes a major issue when the parents are no longer together and are sharing custody of a child.

When one parent has to move for a job, to be closer to family, or some other reason, it can wreak havoc on their custody arrangements. The parents may now be hours apart. Plus, a parent cannot simply move wherever they want. There are laws involved so that a parent does not have full control of a child and therefore cannot be accused of kidnapping or some other crime.

Want to move with your child? Have questions about the process? Contact Lakeland parental relocation attorney Darla K. Snead, P.L. Attorney at Law for more information about the laws involved. We can assist you in relocating your child or advise you of how you may defend against the relocation of your child.

What the Law Says

Under Florida Statutes 61.13001, parents who are involved in a divorce or a paternity action cannot relocate with their children more than 50 miles from their residence without the other parent’s written permission. The residence is defined as where they are living at the time the case is filed or at the time the final judgment or order is entered. A relocation does not apply to a temporary (one that lasts for fewer than 60 days) nor a temporary absence for vacation, education, or health care for the child.

Both Parents Must Agree

You can rest assured knowing that the other parent cannot legally take your child and move away one day. Both parents must agree to the relocation. If your divorce or paternity action has not been completed yet and both parents agree to the move, this can be reflected in the final judgment. If a final judgment has already been entered and one parent decides to relocate at a later date, then they can file the agreement with the court, which will modify the original custody order.

The agreement must show consent of the non-relocating parent. It must also include details about timesharing, visitation, and any transportation arrangements. The non-relocating parent has 10 days after the date of the agreement to change their mind and request a hearing.

Contact Darla K. Snead, P.L. Attorney at Law Today

It can be upsetting to hear that the other parent wants to relocate with your child, but it could be a great opportunity for the parent and the child.

Still, it’s important to make sure the correct process is being followed. Darla K. Snead, P.L. Attorney at Law can help you understand what laws are involved. To schedule a consultation with a Lakeland parental relocation lawyer, call our office at (863) 619-5291.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn