Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Lakeland Family & Divorce Attorney
Schedule A Consultation Today! Phone Logo Icon 863-619-5291
Lakeland Family & Divorce Attorney / Lakeland Name Change Attorney

Lakeland Name Change Attorney

Many people don’t change their last name when they get married or divorced. The process can be a real pain, especially when you realize how many legal documents bear your name, from driver’s licenses to credit cards.

So when women get divorced, they may want to revert to their maiden name. The process is not hard, but it can be laborious. It will take a long time to get your name changed with the appropriate agencies.

While you’re in the middle of the divorce process, think about what you want to do with your last name. Then contact Lakeland name change attorney Darla K. Snead, P.L. Attorney at Law to get more information about the steps involved.

How to Change Your Last Name After a Divorce

In Florida, you can have your maiden name restored in the final divorce decree. You must ask the judge to include this in the final judgment. If you wait until after the divorce has been finalized, you will need to contact the courthouse to have them amend the decree. Note that you can only request to restore your maiden name. List your full maiden name (first, middle, and last name) on the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. At the final hearing, spell your maiden name clearly and correctly for the judge.

Getting Your Name Changed on Documents

That’s not all. You will need to obtain a certified copy of the final judgment from a clerk’s office location. You will use this document to update your name with the appropriate agencies.

You will need to go to your local Social Security office to obtain a card under your new (old) name. You will need proof of identity and U.S. citizenship. You will also need to go to your local DMV office in person to get a new driver’s license. However, you need to update your name with the Social Security Administration first.

Don’t forget the insurance companies. Auto home, auto, life, and health insurance cards and documents will need to be updated accordingly. Bank accounts and credit cards will need to have your current name. If you work, your employer will also need your new name to use on paychecks, email accounts, logins, and other employment documents.

If you vote, you will need to change your voter registration as well. You can do this at your post office. Don’t forget service providers such as utilities, doctors, dentists, veterinarians, and more.

Contact Darla K. Snead, P.L. Attorney at Law Today

After a divorce, you’ll have a lot going on. Getting your last name changed may not be on your list of priorities, but if you do want to revert to your maiden name, it’s best to do it before the divorce is finalized.

Need help with the process? Darla K. Snead, P.L. Attorney at Law can help. To schedule a consultation with our Lakeland name changes lawyer, call our office at (863) 619-5291.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn