Here’s Why You Should Not Delay Seeking Medical Treatment After a Car Accident
One of the most crucial steps after a car accident is seeking prompt medical attention. Unfortunately, many people put off seeking medical attention after a car accident for various reasons. Putting off or delaying seeking medical attention after a Florida car accident can be a big mistake. Even if you don’t think you are injured, it is vital that you seek immediate medical attention after a car accident. Delaying seeking medical attention after a car accident can adversely affect your health. It can also adversely affect your ability to recover compensation.
Reasons People Put Off Seeking Medical Attention After a Car Accident
The following are some of the reasons why people fail to seek immediate medical attention after a car accident;
- Lack of Immediate Symptoms
One of the main reasons people fail to seek immediate medical attention after a car accident is the lack of immediate symptoms. However, just because you don’t have any injury symptoms does not mean you are uninjured. Some injuries have symptoms that don’t become apparent immediately after an accident. Seeking medical attention immediately after a car accident can help determine if you suffered a hidden injury.
- Cost of Medical Treatment
If a person does not have health insurance, they may fail to seek medical attention because they are concerned about the cost of medical care. In the U.S., in an emergency situation, you can receive medical treatment regardless of your ability to pay. Additionally, there are options that can help you pay for your medical expenses, such as filing a personal injury claim against the party responsible for your accident.
- Feeling Overwhelmed
After a car accident, thinking straight and making crucial decisions, such as seeking medical attention, may be difficult. It is important to remember that seeking immediate medical attention after a car accident is one the best things you can do for yourself.
Why You Should Not Delay Seeking Medical Treatment After a Car Accident
The following are some of the main reasons why you should not delay seeking medical treatment after a car accident;
- Your injuries might worsen: If you delay seeking medical treatment after a car accident, your injuries might worsen. Seeking medical care right away allows you to get a timely diagnosis and get started on treatment right away, preventing your injuries from worsening.
- The at-fault party’s insurance company might reject your claim: After a car accident, you can file a compensation claim against the negligent party. If you delay seeking medical attention, the at-fault party’s insurance company may reject your claim on the grounds that another accident or incident caused your injuries.
- You may recover reduced compensation: Even if you recover compensation from the negligent party’s insurance company, you may end up receiving a reduced payment. When you delay seeking medical attention after a car accident, you end up with weak evidence linking your injuries to the accident. The insurance company may also give you less compensation than you deserve on the grounds that your failure to seek medical attention immediately after your accident worsened your injuries. After a car accident, you have a duty to mitigate damages.
Contact a Lakeland, FL, Auto Accident Lawyer Today
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, our Lakeland car accident attorneys at Darla K. Snead, P.L., can help you understand your legal options and protect your legal rights. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. With an office in Lakeland, our firm represents auto accident victims in Polk County and beyond.